At Stanley Park, Vancouver, British Columbia 2007

At Stanley Park, Vancouver, British Columbia 2007
Enjoying a beautiful day!

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Thing #10: More on the discussion of plagerism...

I was taught by teachers before the Internet invasion and I often live in fear of plagiarism in high school and college as well. Here were some comments made about plagiarism in my class:

-but I'm not really copying it, I'm just copying and pasting information
-I think it's stupid to punish people for plagiarising
-you're not learning if you plagiarize
-what's the big deal, everyone does it?
-it's about respecting the work of others, if you plagiarize you're not respecting them
-I think my teachers are just uptight about this business of plagiarizing

We had quite a lively discusion and I felt defeated by the end of the day because I don't think they left feeling that they understood the issue of plagiarizing. What mattered to my students was that they follow my directions and cite their sources to get points of course-

2 comments:

Karen said...

Don't feel defeated, Kita! Even the students who didn't feel that plagiarism is important had to think about it for a while . . . and they'll think about it again next time they are "just" copying and pasting. I think there was a gap (during the rise of the internet) when this wasn't discussed much, but I think it can come back around to high importance.

lyoder said...

I applaud you for beginning this discussion with your students. Remember that they are kids and are going to view the topic from that perspective- it's up to you to be the adult and guide them. I'll see what kind of resources I can find to make this point with students.

Leslie