At Stanley Park, Vancouver, British Columbia 2007

At Stanley Park, Vancouver, British Columbia 2007
Enjoying a beautiful day!

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Thing #14 ROR

On early release day, our PLC group met and decided that we would teach students how to use Reliable Online Resources. Linda has set up a wonderful web page: www.comosr.spps.org/ror with a plethora of ROR sites. I developed a research project for my US History class only using ROR sites. This was our second day in the lab and I can't count how many times I had to ask my students to stay away from Google.com- I explained that we will use Google.com for a different lesson as we explore how to "smart search" Google. It's amazing how addicted our students are to Google.com.

Linda taught me that some sites like ABC-CLIO will teach students how to cite their sources with a click of a button, other sites are more difficult. I think I need to do more work in my classes with citing sources. We had a great discussion in my class about plagiarism and the impact it has on education. I'll share more later...

3 comments:

Linda said...

I'm so glad you're using the ROR page, and remember you can bring your kids to the library any time if you want me to show them how to use the databases to cite sources, etc. To answer your question about academic-level sites: Just go to the LMC webpage on Como's homepage, then choose "Teacher Tools." Near the bottom there's a section called ACADEMIC RESEARCH FOR PROFESSIONALS. That's where you can find some good links for academic research. I'll try pasting a link here -- not sure if it will be active http://comosr.spps.org/86c906e9-8a3c-4d0f-976f-56888ce0a07f.html

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to hearing more about the plagiarism discussion--hope you post about what the students had to say.

lyoder said...

Wow! You all are very impressive.

Maybe you want to post one or more of the free citation tools on your class webpage. I too, look forward to hearing about your discussion.

Leslie