At Stanley Park, Vancouver, British Columbia 2007

At Stanley Park, Vancouver, British Columbia 2007
Enjoying a beautiful day!

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Thing #18 One Student Thing

I'm finishing up a couple of basic research projects for my classes and it has been quite an adventure. I am wondering if teachers are finding that the initial idea of research is difficult for students because they are so use to having "instant answers" at their fingertips. My students do not want to read research-they want quick answers from the internet.

Perhaps they grew up understanding how quick technology is today. They can text message very fast, multitask by eating, surfing the net, and listening to music as well. They complain about waiting for Grolier to retrieve information. They want to access the internet quickly and want research to be instant, without reading.

I'm know my students are excited about technology...but I feel that they're losing out on the wonderful world of reading and using their imagination. I know there has to be a balance but how do we do it?

1 comment:

Karen said...

Kind of crazy isn't it . . . that we've become impatient about waiting a few seconds for results. :)

Reading and imagination . . . I think the imagination part comes in (somewhat) when kids have a choice about what they are researching and how they present their information . . .